Call for Editor-in-Chief of Magnetic Resonance Materials in Physics, Biology
and Medicine (MAGMA)
MAGMA is a scientific journal owned by the European Society of Magnetic Resonance in Medicine and Biology (ESMRMB). The current Editor-in-Chief, Professor Patrick Cozzone, will step down from the position at the end of 2017. The ESMRMB Executive Board now wishes to find a worthy successor during 2017 in order to ensure a gradual handover of responsibilities in the latter part of 2017. MAGMA Volume 32 in 2019 will carry the new Editor-in-Chief’s Editorial and choice of contents.
MAGMA publishes high-quality original papers and short communications in the field of magnetic resonance in medicine and biology, spanning a variety of topical fields, 6 times a year. The journal provides authors and researchers with an established platform for the publication of scientific material with the fastest turnaround in the market among all MR journals. In 2016, out of 175 initial submissions, 70 were published (rejection rate 60%) and the journal has an Impact Factor (2015) of 2.64. Online access to MAGMA is currently free for all members of the ESMRMB and easily available through consortia.
The post (four years in the first instance) is open to established MRI physicists or other specialists in the field. They should have a demonstrably strong record in scientific publishing and experience of editorial work of at least Editorial Board level on an internationally respected scientific journal in the field. According to the ESMRMB statutes, the Editor-in-Chief's place of residence shall be in Europe.
It is expected that the new Editor-in-Chief is able to invest at least 20% of his/her time to the journal. Remuneration is up for discussion.
The Editor-in-Chief will work in close cooperation with the Editorial Office of his/her choice, which will be remunerated by the Publisher.
Duties of the Editor-in-Chief
Maintain and improve MAGMA following the newest trends in scientific publishing.
Oversee all aspects of the journal’s peer-review process, including:
• Proactively work with ESMRMB and the Editorial Board to develop new strategies to maintain and increase the high profile of MAGMA.
• Prompt dissemination of submitted papers out for expert review
• Swift and courteous handling of decisions on the handling of queries and complaints
• Identify suitable topics for editorials and commentaries
• Liaise with the Editorial Board and chairing of the annual meeting of thev Editorial Board at the ESMRMB meeting
• Provide encouragement and feedback to all authors and reviewers
• Develop and maintain a keen and enthusiastic Editorial Board
• Report twice yearly to the ESMRMB leadership on the performance of the journal
• A wide knowledge of MR imaging and spectroscopic techniques and applications
• An international reputation as a researcher in the field
• An ability to network effectively with other members of the field across Europe and worldwide
• A dynamic, well-organised and reliable character with an ability to prioritise and meet deadlines
• A high standard of written and spoken English
Interested parties should send a curriculum vitae and a covering letter, explaining why they consider themselves suitable for the post, how they would arrange their work for the journal beyond their other duties, and their future perspectives and aims for the journal.